The new $2.7 million complex opened at Kensington Metropark’s Martindale Beach in Milford, Michigan in June of 2010. Replacing the original bathhouse built in 1952, the new buildings reflect the values of the Metropark in its service-oriented, aesthetically appealing design and long lasting, low-maintenance material selection. The complex consists of two buildings that front a curved plaza facing Kent Lake. The bathhouse totals 4300 sq. ft., which includes men’s and women’s restrooms, showers, and changing facilities, along with three family changing rooms and an attached garage for equipment to maintain the site and beach. The food service building with beachfront administration totals 3500 sq. ft., which includes a concession kitchen, staff restrooms, lockers, showers, lunchroom, manager’s office, and first aid station. The buildings define the edge of the three-acre lakefront plaza, which also features walkways, landscaping, and table seating shaded by umbrellas and locust trees.
Project Team: Bradford Angelini- Partner, Theresa Angelini- Partner, Jason Wise- Designer
Contractor: Braun Construction Group
Site Engineering and Landscape Design: Huron-Clinton Metropolitan Park Authority
Photography: Jeff Garland